Wednesday, September 12, 2012

How to Camouflage in China

As previously mentioned, I am bigger than the average Chinese person. My stature is something to gawk at. And gawk they will. It's pretty funny actually. I definitely catch people staring. Full wide-eyed stare. Except when you catch people staring, they don't even try to pretend they weren't. In fact, they don't even look away. No hello, no smile, just a continued stare. I have taken to saying "nihao" and waving or smiling. This often doesn't even get a response. I have to say, even for a leo, the level of attention can be a bit overwhelming. I definitely stand out in a crowd. As seen below, I am waiting in the cafeteria line up at school. Definitely not fitting in. 



Then, one day at the mall, and extraordinary opportunity arose: I realized that my brightly coloured floral dresses were almost a perfect match with the gaudy fake flowers and trees. So far, it appears to be my best option for fitting in. Almost perfect height and colour match. 


1 comment:

  1. Yes! You are inspiring dinner conversations all around the city.

    ReplyDelete