Saturday, September 22, 2012

"Stuff White People Like" in China

 Even though was a few weeks ago now, I think my first camping in China experience is worth a bit of a mention. We foreigners frequent a bar called Backyard. It's owned by Hector, a Chinese man who has spent some time in England, has great English, and knows about "stuff white people like": microbrews, dive bars, camping, etc. He also takes people on camping trips as for China's version of Outward Bound. Basically, he is not only lovely, wonderful, and generous he also has great taste in beer and can take you on  an amazing camping trip. So, camping we went!

We left on a Friday afternoon in a two car convoy to a beach near Laizhou. I looked it up on google maps and apparently I have now swum in the Bohai Sea. We set up camp in the glowing light of a luxury hotel and the fluorescent placard of a golf course. It was awesome. Then Hector and Min cooked us up some fabulous BBQ and we drank some fine imported beer, had a beach dance party and practiced our hulla hooping under the starry sky. Yes! We could see the stars! It was magical. 

As an important side note: after 27 long years, I have finally learned to hulla! This is due to the amazing teaching and tips from Sinead and the fact that she brought her collapsable hoop from Canada. I was so excited to learn this new skill, that I immediately purchased my own. It's pretty poor quality which makes it a bit more challenging to keep it going, but I am dedicated to developing this skill set. Also, it's a wee bit of an ab workout. Lord knows I need this due to my full embrace of the local high fat, salt, meat and chemical diet. 





We wandered along the beach for the morning- collecting shells and watching people go about the beach business of swimming, playing in the sand and fishing. I think we watched them catch our lunch...
















I really loved this guy. Parked his bike, waded in to catch some lunch.

We piled back into town and rolled into town to find some lunch. We arrived through these beautiful gates; Hey look! We're in Chinatown! Yes, we made that joke. Sometimes, you just can't help it. 





Hector and Min found us a great little family run lunch spot that cooked up some amazing vegetable dishes and a lot of seafood. Another thing that is amazing about going out with local folk is that they know what to order.








My philosophy is that you have to be adventurous and just go for it and for the most part, I am a pretty courageous eater. This time, I am going to admit that I had to put on my most brave face. Don't get me wrong, the food was amazing, fresh, and delicious. I'm just not used to eating some creatures. And it's strange that it's harder to eat something that looks exactly like what it is... but there you go. The meal was both challenging and rewarding.

First up: mussels in broth and tofu baby squid soup.

Sinead and I go for the baby squid: texturally challenging and tasting amazing!










The Chinese are incredible hosts. (I know that's a generalization- so far, it's been consistent.) When you go out for meal, they order a lot. The dishes are placed in the middle on a rotating platter and then you share. Amazing dish after amazing dish of food is piled onto the table and you pick what you want to eat and put it on your smaller personal plate. And just when you think you can't eat another bite- another dish arrives. And then another. And finally, the dumplings. When the dumplings arrive, you know your safe. They are the last dish- you are on the homestretch.





To the right: possibly the best eggplant that I have ever had.





Me, Celeste, and some friendly fried fish!























Finally, the dumplings. Words can barely touch how amazing dumplings are here. And they are everywhere. Not all dumplings are created equal. It's a bit like when I first was in Mexico and I thought: a taco is a taco is a taco. Dumplings- I had no idea. These ones were awesome. And you eat them with a malt vinegar. I included a picture of the vinegar pot just for mainly for my mom... I can just see that little teapot filled with flowers in her kitchen window sill.

So when you go out, there's a lot of food and you share. I love it.  As you all know, I am an eater. So, I am really grateful for the massive amounts of food. Something I am not yet used to is that it's super common to leave a table with pretty much half the food you ordered still on the table. It's been explained to me that the idea is that there is enough food. It shows that you are a good host. Being an 'eat-what's-on-your-plate/at-the-table kinda' woman, this has led to a lot of overeating. And, I gotta' say, I love this too.










Stuffed and happy, we drove back. I scored the front seat. Sam and Celeste are in the back.










Oh, and Hector picked us up some bevys for the road. I could try to pretend I wasn't excited- but just take a look at that sugar crazed face.

All this to say, camping in China: great success. If you are ever in Weifang- go to Backyard and ask for Hector's Camping All-Inclusive. You will love every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment