Saturday, September 1, 2012

Nihao! Ting bu dong. Wo shi Jianadaren.

Hello Friends,

Much like every other teacher that moved to China, I am starting up a blog to update about the life and times of a teacher in China. Originally from Saltspring Island, I have spent the last couple of years living in Victoria where I studied Education at UVic and started working as a Teacher-On-Call. But, having a bit of a travelling gypsy soul, I signed up to teach at a BC Offshore School in Weifang, China.  I arrived here about one week ago and my beautiful friends at home set up this blog for me so that I could regale you with tales from the tallest white woman Weifang has ever seen. Of course, this fact cannot be confirmed, but you'd be hard-pressed to find someone to deny it.

First Impressions: Wow. There is a lot going on here. At the same time, it's a pretty quiet town. To be honest, I didn't really know what to expect of China and I'm not much of a researcher either. Everything I knew about Weifang before stepping off the plane was relayed to me from my trusty researching friend, Jess DL. I am quite certain that even after having been here for the week, she still knows more. I can sum up my before arrival knowledge with the following list: Kite Capital of the World, famous for radishes, population of 9 million, there is a Wal-Mart, reasonable bike-able, and something about a diesel refinery.

After week one, I have not seen a single kite, I think I have eaten a radish (there would be know way of knowing what I have and have not eaten over the past week), people are everywhere, I have been to the "Wo-er-ma," people bike everywhere on all sorts of bike contraptions, and no word on the diesel.

My strongest impressions so far:

It's hot. And humid. I think I have been sweating for a week straight. Dripping foreheads, pit stains, back sweat, ass sweat, boob sweet, inner thigh sweat... you name it. It's all the rage here. Sweat actually drips off my body during peak sunshine hours, when eating spicy food, or when trying to engage in any sort of physical activity. On the upside, we're all in this together and I think my pores are mega-cleansed. So yeah, it's hot. It's been above 35 for the whole week and the humidity makes it feel a bit insane.

It's dusty. Weifang is under major construction and, as far as I've heard, constant construction. There are massive apartment buildings and shopping malls being built anywhere you go. So, there is a lot of dust. I've cleaned my apartment almost every day and still, there is dust. The returning teachers tell me that it's only a matter of time before you just give up and accept that yes, your apartment floors are dirty. We'll see.

There are a lot of people but it doesn't really feel crowded. I am not sure if it's the Mexico City in me, but I haven't really felt like there is a lot of people. I mean, yes, you see people everywhere but it doesn't feel crowded in the ways that I expected. The sidewalks are spacious and there are seats on the bus, my apartment is huge and the building isn't full... I suspect that the population of 9 million isn't all in central Weifang, but the surrounding areas. Also, people are friendly and kind but people aren't stopping me in the street to talk. They just gawk. Actually gawk like jaw-dropped, eyes wide open, full, fixated stare. I'm pretty tall and white. They just can't get enough. Also, foreigners travel in packs. It's like a circus. Fair enough, I love staring too.

Bicycles and various incarnations thereof are everywhere! It's awesome. There are electric bikes, wheelbarrow bikes, pedal bikes... you name it. Oh, and you pack that bike with as many people, produce and products as you can possibly carry. No one wears a helmet and there is legit bike traffic and a whole lane that is shared by the bikes and buses. It's awesome. I am looking into getting a bike soon for personal use and I am also considering getting what I have dubbed the "bucket bike" so that I can cart passengers around for the small fee of 1 RMB. I think it will be a hit on our school campus and this way I can pay for lunch.

Food. It's awesome. Ahhhh yes, glorious food. I am loving it. I am going to dedicate a lot of time to telling you people about food. In the meantime, know that it's delish, very meaty, pretty spicy, and there is no cheese in sight.

Wo-er-ma. That's how you say "Wallmart" so that the taxi driver knows what you are saying. Yes, been there, supported the corporation and I am now the proud owner of a sheet and blanket set that says "HOMES" all over it, just in case I didn't know what to do with it. There are several other giant Wallmart-like stores, so I am now frequenting those instead to gradually furnish my apartment with the essentials.

And finally, CHINESE. Wow, I am a bit lost. It's the first time I have been in a place where I really have no idea what people are saying, how to read, how to speak... it's a mixture of unsettling, entertaining, humbling, and exciting. The unsettling and humbling part is when people are trying to ask me or tell me something and all I can say is "ting bu dong" which means "I don't understand." If I am feeling ambitious, I add "Wo shi Jianadaren" which means "I am Canadian." This is to clarify that a) I am not trying to be rude, b) I am not an oversized alien from outer space, and c) I like to think that I'm being a great ambassador for my great home nation. The entertaining and exciting part comes in when I actually pronounce this well enough for people to understand. I have also managed to order a few meals and drinks and direct a cab to my apartment building without using the cheat-sheet that I had written (name of building in Chinese Characters). In short, I have a long way to go with my Chinese studies. It's going to be embarrassing and awesome.

So as far as first impressions go, I think Weifang and I are doing quite well. I will do my best to provide you with updates and anecdotal ramblings but for now, I have to get my beauty rest as tomorrow is the first day of classes. And yes, tomorrow is Sunday. Welcome to China, we don't always follow the same calendar, sometimes we use the lunar calendar too... (details to follow- once I figure them out).


No comments:

Post a Comment