Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Fraction of Beijing in Photos


Wide pedestrian walkways flanked by large leafy trees, street side flower planters, brick apartment buildings covered in vines, separated bike lanes, ambient noise of car engines, and the constant symphony of car horns. This is Beijing. Or, this is the wee fraction of Beijing that I know. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by Beijing. I am not sure what I was expecting but expectations were blown out of the water.

It’s National Holiday week in China and despite ample warnings about massive crowds of people, we trekked off to explore the capital. We did avoid the major tourist areas (Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Beijing access point to Great Wall, etc) because of the unfathomably large amounts of people. This just means that I have good reason to go back for the requisite sightseeing. This introductory trip was a lot of wandering the streets, eating imported foods that you would never see the likes of in Weifang, and meeting more foreigners than you would ever see the likes of in Weifang. 

And, I took a lot of pictures thusly I present to you: 

32 Photos: A Fraction Of Beijing As Seen Through The Lens of Laurel Temmel


1. Guy napping on a park bench alongside a busy street. Napping is super common in China. In Shandong Province (where I live) the government regulates nap time. That's why we have a two hour break in the middle of classes every day. I'm not sure about regulations in Beijing.

2. How to cross a street in China. Don't be afraid to stop in the middle and wait for an appropriate break in traffic. The strategy is to make it across paying attention to one direction of traffic at a time. I don't think it's actually possible to cross if you are waiting for both directions at once. That said, it's a reasonably frightening moment when you are standing in the middle of 8 lanes of zooming and honking traffic.

3. Triangular flower towers at the end of each block. Love it. The next step is growing some veggies in there... then you've got yourself Beijing local produce. So much potential and in the meantime, it sure is pretty. Also, note the red lanterns and bike lane. Standard issue in China. 

4. EcoBici bike share! Get on with it, Canada!

5. It's impossible not to take this photo when you see a row of dwarf size Chinese army statues. 

6. It is also impossible not to love a city that has brick pedestrian walkways shaded by large trees. Beijing- I had no idea.

7. 

8.  Your bike repair stop. 

9. I am pretty sure this means: No Fireworks On Cars. I think this both because of the symbols and because if it was legal, I think I would have seen it by now. 

9. Orientation Conference. Navigating with Chinese maps and road signs is pretty tricky. Plus here, the road signs run perpendicular to the road that they are naming. So, it can get pretty confusing.

10. Grandma's Kitchen. It's no Lady Marmalade, but still a North American breakfast heaven. Grease, Cholesterol, and Caffeine. Hallelujah, Amen.

11. The subway promotes intimacy among all travellers. Sinead, Me, and Joey- Randi must have been squished some place else at the time.

12. As you can see, I am the tallest in all in this subway car. The real advantage in this case being access to oxygen and higher visibility. 

13. More sustainable logging practices.

14. "Vintage" Mau buttons. We found the antique district. I am not sure how much of the "antiques" were from times of yore- but still sweet market finds at high tourist prices. 

15. Prayer beads

16. Stone carved stamps. 

17. Painted buildings that look like the Chinatown we imagine. 

18. Alleyways with 'art'- possibly paint by number. 

19. 

20. Painting the building red. 

21. Alleyways are for biking too. And sidewalk chalk.

22. China is designed for shorter folks. 

23. More beads. I bought a necklace that may or may not be jade. Asking price: an ambitious 150 RMB. I paid 30 which means it was probably made yesterday and is worth about 5. I believe in bargaining but you also have to respect that it's their way of making a living. 

24. Calligraphy brushes. 

25. Old coins

26. Antiques or just pretty dusty. There would be no way of knowing. 

27. Meticulously painted buildings

28. Any street, Beijing. 

29. Selling paintings and statues. 

30. Handmade shadow puppets. I talked to the girl that was selling these. Apparently they are made out of leather. Her grandparents make them, and she will learn how to make them when she turns 18.

31. I was pretty overwhelmed at this market experience and only ended up leaving with my 'jade' beads and some postcards. I am going to have to go back once I am more China street market savvy to pick up some goods.  

32. People watching is a two way street. 

Until next time, Beijing. 

PS. For further reading: Globe and Mail does it again! (Thanks JDL for keeping me posted.) 

Perfectly Imperfect Day in Beijing:


1 comment:

  1. Laurel!! I am enjoying your blog on a number of levels: vicariously experiencing China as a foreigner, reminiscing about teaching in Korea (I just perused my blog which I haven't looked at since 2010), and most importantly delighting in the sound of your voice in my head as I read. Smiles all around. xoxo

    ReplyDelete