Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day Treasures of Weifang

Please note and appreciate the China-translation inspired post title. 

I tend to focus my bloggin' on adventures like weekend trips and find street markets and themes like food and fashion trends like The Chinese Roll Up. I was scrolling through my photos (as one does when they are avoiding work like learning trigonometry to teach to grade 10s or making a powerpoint on literary terms) and I realized that I have been somewhat overlooking the "banalities" of everyday life in my new home, Weifang. So, here I present you with some of the gems of daily life in Weifang. (Please note and appreciate the China translation inspired post title.)


This is Dora. Dora is essentially the greatest. She organizes all the administrative stuff at school, rents our apartments, calls our landlords, gets us cell phones/internet/residency permits... you name it, you ask Dora, it's done. I actually think that our school would fall to pieces without her. This is one of our first Dora adventures. We needed SIM cards. She took us to this lady in the white cap. The lady looked around and then pulled out this giant strip of SIM cards. Just as quickly, she tucked them back into her purse when the police rolled by. This is the type of local know-how that makes Dora amazing. Also, she's super sweet and kind. 


 Tai Hua is the downtown area of Weifang. Or, it's a shopping mall. All I know is that when I get into a cab and say Tai Hua, it takes me to this area. It's along the river and it's a pretty classy little area. Here we have some folk posing for a photo in front of what seems to be the nicest pagoda in Tai Hua area.

Nothing like a ride on your favourite golden crocodile. This is around RT Mart, the supermarket with the best imports section. This isn't sayin' much, but it is sayin' aged cheddar and butter.


 This is also just outside RT Mart. This is where we recently "discovered"a new sports bar. We thought we discovered it, but then every other foreigner in Weifang rolled in. I guess Carlsberg on tap is news that spreads like wildfire.
Here we have the corner store below Sinead, Joey, Randi, and Colin's apartment building which is super handy when you wanna stop by with a fresh fish for your friends.

 Something to love about China is how many people socialize on the sidewalks in the evening. As the colder weather sets in, shirts are more popular and not a Roll Up in sight! But the little foldable stools crowded around tables filled with cards games, Chinese chess, and local foods remain.

 These ladies meet for dancing with big hot pink fans in the evening. I haven't seen them since the weather started getting colder which is a bummer because there are very few things in life that can make you smile like a bunch of older ladies dancing to music with big fans.

 A friendly warning on the city buses. No Drinking. No Eating Burgers, No... Something. No Knitting. No Handguns. No Daggers. No Leaning Out The Window. No Fireworks. No Border Collies. I guess those are all pretty reasonable.

 Furniture and household goods market. You gotta drive a hard bargain here and dedicate an entire afternoon to locating the object you want. But, a deal is a deal.

 This baby is definitely on a better mattress than my bed.

 And this guy is ready to take off.

 The ladies were looking into fans. I was busy sweating and taking reflection photos.

 The river at Tai Hua. Weifang's idea of city development appears to be more shopping malls and high rise apartment buildings.

 Giant vase on a plaza. I can't read the plaque but I think it's pretty sweet.

 Pets or dinner? Hard to say... I think it's best not to think about it.

 Fruit vending on a moped.
 Crossing Sheng Li at night. The sloped roof in the background is the Kite Museum. I haven't made the pilgrimage yet, but it's on the list. I do live in Kite Capital of The World.

 Kites for Sale!

 Plants for sale!

And an adorable puppy! Puppies have all the luck here. And you don't see a lot of dogs. I don't like thinking about it and I don't want to extrapolate but I have to admit that it does leave me wondering at times.
 More socializing in the streets.

And more...

 I think this might have been in a barber shop, but I can't remember.

Yes, it's a bike friendly town!
 Sunset over Weifang. Seen from the top floor of a shopping mall. Sometimes you have to reassess your ideas of beautiful and just enjoy.
 Getting ready for a night of street meat.
 Colin and I should not be allowed to order food. You just want everything in your Thai Noodle Wok, and next thing you know, it's bigger than your torso. Yes, we did try to eat all this. And thank god we failed.

 Fresh moon cakes in the street! They are made with an eggy dough batter (I am guessing) and filled with sugary beans or sugary berries (also guessing). The thing about not understanding Chinese and trying foods you have never seen or heard of before, is that you still don't really know what they are. All I know is that I like 'em. I feel like that's enough until I am with someone that knows the score. It adds that element of surprise to your everyday life.

Jen with a giant spider. You have to watch out for this kind of thing when you walk between trees.

It's corn season! Bike lanes are multipurpose.

So there it is. Everyday life in China. These are those moments that make me realize that yes, I live in China. Fish tanks in convenience stores, ears of corn drying on the street, sidewalk socializing, shopping mall sunsets over smoggy cityscapes, manufactured riverways, fresh moon cakes, pirated SIM cards, red lanterns, and please No Knitting and No Fireworks on the bus.

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand why you can't knit on the bus! I really like this post because it reinforces all of my research. Kite capital! Although I didn't know about the knitting thing.

    ReplyDelete